VEGETABLE RAVA UPPUMA
2 cups semolina (sooji, rava)
1 carrot (gajar)
1/4 cup french beans (flas beans)
1 small cauliflower (phool gobi)
1 capsicum (shimla mirch)
1 onion (pyaj)
1 inch ginger (adrak)
4 green chillies
6 tblsp oil (tel)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (raai)
4 red chillies whole
2 tsp black gram split (urad dal)
10-12 curry leaves (kari patta)
1/4 cup green peas (matar) (shelled)
1/4 tsp asafoetida
salt (namak) to taste
* Roast the rava in a dry kadai without the color changing, remove and cool.
* Wash, peel and cut the vegetables to small dices of equal size.
* Peel and chop onion and ginger fine. Wash and slit the green chillies and squeeze the lemon, strain and keep juice.
* Boil water, add little salt and cook carrot, beans and cauliflower for 10 minutes, drain and reserve.
* Heat oil, temper with mustard seeds, red chillies, urad dal and curry leaves. Add the green chillies and stir.
* Add the onion, ginger and cook for a few minutes. Add the capsicum and green peas and for about 5 minutes. Add the cooked vegetables, sprinkle asafoetida and salt to taste.
* Pour 4 cups water and bring to boil.
* When the water starts boiling, add the rava in a flow, stirring continuously to prevent lumps from forming.
* Cook for a few more minutes stirring all the while.
* Remove, drizzle lemon juice and serve hot.
Labels: VEGETABLE RAVA UPPUMA