1 cup - rice, picked, washed and soaked
1 cup - shelled peas, frozen or fresh
2 - onions, sliced
1 tbsp - black cumin (shahzeera)
1 - small stick cinnamon
4 - cloves
2 cups - water
1 - black or 3 to 4 - green cardamoms
2 tbsp - ghee
salt to taste
1. Put the oil in a large, flat bottomed microwave-safe dish. Microwave at 100% power for 3 minutes.
2. Add cumin and whole spices. Continue to cook at the same power level for 2 minutes.
3. Add the sliced onions and cook for 5 more minutes.
4. Add the peas. If they are not frozen, add 2 tbsp. water, cover and Microwave at 100% power for 2 minutes.
5. Add the rice and water in which it was soaked, along with salt.
6. Cook uncovered at 100% power for 10 minutes, then reduce power level to 70%, cover and complete cooking for another 4 minutes.
7. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
8. For 2 cups rice, double the timings.
Labels: Peas Pulao