Paneer Biryani Recipe
For the masala:
1/2 bunch pudina/mint
1 bunch coriander (mint & coriander in 1:2 ratio)
2 tbsp dessicated coconut
1 handful roasted peanuts
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp jeera/cumin
1/2 tsp haldi/turmeric pwd
2 red chillies or 2-3 green chillies
6 cloves garlic
1/2 inch ginger
500g paneer cubes
3 small potatoes - peel skin off & cut in half
1/2 cup cubed carrots
1/2 cup green peas
2-3 boiled eggs (optional)
2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
1 large chopped onion
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 more chopped onion
rice (about 2 cups for 3-4 ppl) - washed & drained
salt to taste
a mix of 1 small chopped & fried onion, roasted/fried nuts & raisins, chopped coriander/cilantro and 1/4 cup lime juice
1. Grind ingredients 5-16 with some water to a smooth paste.
2. Deep fry paneer cubes & set aside.
3. Heat oil, fry onions till pink and then add the masala, 2 tbsp at a time, frying well in between.
4. Then add the potatoes & carrots with a little water, cover & cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
5. Then add the paneer & peas & cook for 2 minutes, covered.
6. In a separate vessel, heat some ghee & fry a chopped onion till pink, then add the cinnamon, cardamom & bay leaves.
7. Add rice, nuts & raisins & fry well.
8. Add water & salt and cook till rice is almost ready - drain off excess water & add the paneer-gravy, tossing lightly.
9. Place halved boiled eggs in between some layers & steam closed for till rice is cooked fully.
10. Garnish with lime-juice, nuts/raisins & coriander.
Labels: Paneer Biryani Recipe