Andhra Aloo Recipe
2 large potatoes
2 medium chopped onions
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
half a garlic - about 8-10 cloves - chopped.
Salt to taste
2 chopped green chillies/whole dried red chillies
1 tbsp freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp dessicated coconut
a pinch of turmeric pwd
1/2 cup chopped coriander
1 tbsp cooking oil/clarified butter/ghee
1. Peel the potatoes - cut each into half (length-wise) & cut each half again, length-wise and then slice width-wise into about 5mm thick slices - wash & place in water to which 1 pinch of salt & turmeric have been added.
2. In a non-stick vessel, heat oil/ghee; fry onions till pink.
3. Then add the garlic, chillies, cumin; curry leaves - fry well.
4. Then add the mustard, salt, sugar, pepper and fry well.
5. Drain potatoes well & add to the vessel on medium heat.
6. Add 1/4 cup water & the coconut and toss gently till potatoes are well -coated with the spices.
7. Then simmer covered until potatoes are cooked.
8. Garnish with coconut & coriander & serve with daal & rotis.
Labels: Andhra Aloo Recipe