1 arm sized ridge gourd
1/2 small lime
1 big onion
5 green chillies
- 1 tsp mustard seeds( aavaalu )
- 1 tsp cumin seeds( jeela karra/ jeera )
- 1 tsp Methi seeds( menthulu )--- Required!
- 10 curry leaves
- a dash of hing
- 1 tbsp split chick peas / chana dal
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- a pinch of turmeric
- Peel the gourd ( save the peels for the chutney ) and chop into 1/2 inch pieces
- Slit green chillies length wise, and onions into 1 inch pieces
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 5 min, remove any seeds in tamarind and keep aside
- In a pressure pan, heat oil and add seasonings and when they start to pop, add curry leaves, onions and chillies
- Fry for 30 sec and add ridge gourd pieces( beerakaya mukkalu) and tomatoes
- Saute for 2 more min and add tamarind pulp and water until the pieces just get immersed in water
- Pressure cook for 5-10 min or if u have indian style presusure cooker with weight, switch off the heat just after one whistle
- Once the weight comes off easily, open and cook under flame until desired thickness.
- You can mash it a little(or more if you want a thick gravy ) with a round bottommed spoon or masher.
- Add sugar at this point( you can either avoid or get overboard with sugar )
- Adjust salt to taste and if you need more spice, you can add red chilli powder.
- Switch off the flame and add cilantro! Voila, the spicy ridge gourd curry is ready!