Stuffed Cauliflower Puris
2½ cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp ghee
½ tsp salt
To be mixed into a stuffing
1½ cups finely grated cauliflower
½ cup freshly grated coconut
¼ cup roasted and coarsely pounded peanuts
2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
2 tbsp chopped coriander
Salt to taste
Oil for deep-frying
For the sweet and sour sauce
10 to 12 green chillies, slit lenghtwise
½ cup jaggery (gur)
3 tbsp tamarind (imli)
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai / sarson)
1 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
1 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
1. For the sweet and sour sauce (for serving)
2. Soak the tamarind in ½ cup of water. Strain and squeeze out the tamarind water.
3. Mix the tamarind water, jaggery and green chillies. Boil on a low flame for a few minutes. Keep aside.
4. Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Cook until the fenugreek seeds become red. Pour over the sauce.
5. Boil again for 2 minutes. Keep aside
For the dough
1. Mix all the ingredients and add enough water to make a soft dough.
2. Knead for 5 minutes and divide the dough into 32 equal portions.
3. Roll out each portion in to small puris. Keep aside..
How to proceed
1. Divide the stuffing mixture into 16 equal portions.
2.Spread a one portion of the stuffing mixture on one puri and put another on top.
3. Stick the edges, applying a little water if necessary. Roll once and keep aside. Repeat with the remaining puri to make 15 more puris.
4. Deep-fry in hot oil till they puff.
5. Serve hot with the sweet and sour sauce.
Labels: Stuffed Cauliflower Puris