750 grams Basmati rice
1 kg Mutton
5-6 medium Onions
1 tblsp Ginger-garlic paste
2 tblsp Garam masala
6 nos. Red chillies
1 cup Curds
2 nos. Cinnamon
6 nos. Cardamom powder
1 tblsp Shahjeera
10 nos. Black peppercorns
1 tblsp Turmeric powder
2 pinches Saffron
1/2 cup Milk
10 nos. Apricot
1 tblsp Almonds
1 tblsp Cashew nuts
1 tblsp Sunflower seeds
1 tblsp Raisins
* Heat 5 tbsp ghee and fry the almonds, cashewnuts, chironji, raisins, apricots (halved) till light brown in colour.
* Fry the onions till crisp.
* Grind the fried onions and chillies to a fine paste.
* Marinate the meat in beaten curds, ginger-garlic paste, onion-chilli paste, turmeric powder and salt for 1 1/2 hours.
* Heat 2 1/2 tblsp ghee and saute the marinated meat till it is dry and oil leaves the sides of the pan.
* Heat 2 tblsp ghee and fry the cinnamon, cardamom, shahjeera and black pepper till the seeds start spluttering.
* Add the drained rice and saute for 4-5 minutes.
* Add warm water. The level of water should be 1 1/2 inches above the rice level.
* Add salt as per taste. Cook till rice is done.
* Spread on a plate and remove the cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves.
* To Assemble
* Take a heavy bottomed pan and line it with ghee.
* Add the prepared mutton and sprinkle garam masala over it.
* Cover with cooked rice and dot with ghee.
* Make deep holes in the rice and add the saffron (soaked in 1/2 milk) and sprinkle fried nuts and onions.
* Cover the pan and seal the edges with dough.
* Heat a tawa and place the pan on top and cook on a very low flame for 20-25 minutes.
* Mix and serve hot garnished with chopped mint leaves.