1 cup toor dal (washed and soaked for 30 minutes)
4-5 strips tamarind soaked for 5 minutes (paste or pulp may also be used)
1 half ripped mango, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp. sambar masala
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. dhania powder
1 tsp. red chilli powder
1/2 tsp. each cumin and mustard seeds
3 whole red chillies
1 stalk curry leaves
1/2 cup pumpkin or bottle gourd boiled and cubed
1 large tomato
1 tbsp. chopped coriander leaves
2-3 flakes garlic
salt to taste
2 tbsp. oil
- Add tamarind, 1/2 tomato & 1 onion chopped, to the dal.
- Pressure cook till dal is done very soft. (Approx. 4 whistles)
- Remove dal and beat with a whisk or churner till smooth.
- Grind to a paste, 1 onion, 1/4 tomato, garlic, all dry masalas.
I>Chop the remaining onion and tomato to medium or fine pieces.
- Heat oil, add seeds , curry leaves and allow to splutter.
- Add onion, pumpkin, tomato, mangoes and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add paste, and cook for further 2 minutes.
- Add dal and bring to a boil on high.
- Add enough water to get sambar consistency.
- Check and adjust masalas as required.
- Simmer for 12-15 minutes on low, till the aroma exudes.
- Add chopped coriander before serving.
- Serve steaming hot with hot idlis, coconut chutney and ghee.