1. 12 medium chicken thighs, skinned with a sharp knife
2. 4-5tbsp vegetable oil
for the marinade
1. 200g yoghurt
2. 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
3. A piece of root ginger weighing about 30g, peeled and grated
4. two-thirds tsp chilli powder
5. half tsp ground coriander
6. 1tsp ground cumin
7. half tsp garam masala
8. half tsp salt
9. half tbsp lime juice
for the makhani sauce
1. 500g tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped, or a 400g can of tomatoes
2. half tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
3. half tsp paprika
4. half tsp garam masala
5. 100g butter
6. 40ml single cream
7. 1tbsp chopped coriander
8. Salt and ground black pepper
- Place the yoghurt in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients for the marinade.
- Mix well with the chicken and leave overnight in a non-reactive covered bowl.
- The following day pre-heat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7.
- Put the vegetable oil to a heavy roasting tin or ovenproof dish.
- Add the pieces of chicken and cook for 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile put the tomatoes in a heavy-bottomed saucepan with the fenugreek and paprika, season, bring to the boil and simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, butter, cream and coriander and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes