2 cups rice
1 cup toor dhal
2 finely sliced onion
6 to 8 small size tomatoes
4 slitted into halves green chillies
12 to 15 mint leaves
1/2 bundle corriander leaves
1 tsp garlic paste
1 1/2 tsp ginger paste
salt to taste
1/4 cup veg. oil
a few curry leaves
3 cups water
a pinch of turmeric powder
How to make rice khichdi:
* Wash and cook dhal with a pinch of turmeric powder. Set aside.
* Don't discard the cooked dhal water.
* Fry the onions, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
* When onions are golden add slit green chillies, mint, curry leaves and a part of the corriander leaves.
* Keep the remaining corriander leaves for garnishing.
* Add salt, ginger and garlic paste. Fry for 2 minutes.
* Add the washed, drained rice and chopped tomatoes. Fry for few minutes.
* Add the cooked dhal, mix well and add 3 cups of water.
* Add cooked dhal water. Cook it for 8 to 10 minutes till the rice is done.
* Garnish with chopped corriander leaves and serve hot.