Sindhi Chicken Curry
1 cup plain yogurt - room temp, stirred to a creamy consistency
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons oil
2 cups finely chopped onions
1 tablespoon ginger root peeled & minced
1 tablespoon garlic - minced
4 teaspoons green chilies preferably serranos
12 large chicken thighs skinned, rinsed and wiped dry
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
3/4 teaspoon cayenne
28 ounces tomatoes chopped liquid (1 can/box)
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
2 teaspoons salt or to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
1. Stir yogurt and cornstarch together until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and saut until beginning to color, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and saut onions until dark golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes longer.
3. Stir in ginger, garlic and chilies. saut for 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add chicken and brown well, 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle coriander, cumin, turmeric and cayenne pepper over top of chicken. Mix well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, yogurt mixture, 1/2 cup cilantro and salt. Mix well. Cover and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 25 minutes.
7. Turn off heat. Stir in garam masala and 3 tbs. cilantro (or more cilantro to taste).
8. Garnish with remaining cilantro before serving. Serve with rice or any Indian bread.
Labels: Sindhi Chicken Curry